2019 Conference Information
The 2019 APA-Upper Midwest Planning Conference hosted by APA-Wisconsin Chapter will take place on October 2nd, 3rd and 4th in Eau Claire, Wisconsin!
Conference Theme: Innovation – Planning on the Edge
This year, organizers are looking for sessions that break the mold. Planners will tell us how they are innovating and experimenting. We know that innovation happens everywhere, not just in big cities. We will find those stories in towns big and small.
REGISTER TODAY: Link to Online Registration
NOTE: Don't miss the WEDNESDAY WORKSHOPS!
Be sure to scroll all the way down when purchasing your tickets! These three very valuable Workshops are at the end of the list:
Planning Law Innovation: A Three State Comparison: This “Deep Dive” workshop will commemorate the anniversaries of planning innovations in the Upper Midwest..
Climate & Energy Planning Workshop: The trend of billion-dollar natural disaster events in the U.S. is only growing. There were 14 events in 2018 and the Upper Midwest is not immune. These threats are exacerbated by climate change and planners need to be better prepared to help their communities. This workshop is sponsored by Xcel Energy.
Navigating Your Competitive Future: Housing as an
Economic Driver: This training session, hosted by the Urban Land Institute
Minnesota (ULI MN), will explore what it takes to develop a market rate and
affordable housing development from a real estate prospective.
- Hotels with group rates for conference attendees:
Special hotel room rates for the conference ends on Sept 9th!
- FULL The Lismore
- The Oxbow (715-839-0601) - $149.00
- StaybridgeSuites (715-830-0802) - $115.00
If you have any other questions, would like to be a part of the conference, or are interested in being a sponsor, please email conference coordinator Deb Nemeth (email@example.com)
If you're not convinced already, APA-WI Chapter President Jason Valerius has assembled a list of reasons why the conference will be worth your time:
- Great Sessions, including 3 deeper dive workshop options on Wednesday afternoon regarding Planning Law Innovations, Climate and Energy Planning, and Housing as Economic Driver.
- Compelling Speakers, including APA President Kurt Christianson, FAICP and Messy Cities advocate Kevin Klinkenberg.
- The Thursday Night Reception and Awards Program at Eau Claire’s fabulous new Pablo Center, including food, drinks, fellowship and a participatory public art project created specifically for/by our event.
- We’re serious about our theme: “Innovation, Planning on the Edge”. We’ve asked our speakers to show us new things, and to acknowledge their stumbles and lessons in innovation.
- If you haven’t seen Eau Claire’s renaissance in the past 10 years, now’s the time.
Bonus #1 – The first week of October should be close to peak fall foliage in Eau Claire County
Bonus #2 – Learn more about the APA-WI Equity and Diversity Initiative
To see presentations from previous years, visit our Past Conferences Page.
Thank you to one of our generous sponsors, Teska and Associates.