Equity and Inclusive Planning
The chapter is working on improving opportunities for professional development addressing inequities in our communities and practicing more inclusive planning.
In the past week (June 2019), we learned that the Chapter Presidents Council of APA has awarded a grant to the Illinois and Wisconsin Chapters to fund a second workshop on racial equity and inclusive planning. APA-WI is pleased to be working with Illinois on this initiative. More details will be shared in upcoming newsletters and social media posts.
In early 2018, a group of planners traveled to Appleton for a workshop offered by the Government Alliance on Race and Equity (GARE). The Spring-Summer issue of our newsletter featured a story about this experience and what we learned.
Fall 2018, the conference theme, "Growing Inclusive Communities," continued conversations begun at the 2017 conference and the GARE workshop. At the same time, the chapter is also cognizant of the need to grow a more inclusive planning workforce.
In the coming months, this page of the website will feature additional resources for planners on growing inclusive communities and a more inclusive profession.
- APA Learn: Fostering Social Equity and Inclusive Growth Series (CM credits available)
- Interaction Institute for Social Change: Weaving equity into the planning process
- Planning Magazine - American Planning Association: December 2018: Planning for Equity
- APA-Wisconsin - Summer 2015 Newsletter Article: Tools for Environmental Justice and Equity Planning [pdf]
- David Morley, AICP: Inclusive Growth Quick Notes