Equity and Inclusive Planning
Read the statement endorsed by the APA-WI Chapter Board of Directors and by the APA-WI Equity and Diversity Committee.
APA-WI is pleased to share with you the FINAL approved Equity and Diversity Action Plan and introduce you to the new Equity and Diversity Committee.
Donna Martin-Brown, 2020
Jason Gilman, 2020-2021
Ria Hull, 2020-2021 (chair)
Keith Johnathan, 2020-2021
Kevin Kuschel, 2020
Lori Palmeri, 2020-2021
Todd Violante, 2020
Nancy Welch, 2020
Please contact President Josh Clements (joshuarclements at gmail.com) if you are interested in serving on this committee.
Results of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Training Needs Survey 2020 — APA-IL and APA-WI
This survey was conducted as a partnership of between APA-IL and APA-WI in February 2020. It was designed to assess training needs in preparation for an upcoming diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) half-day workshop in the fall of 2020. The training project is funded by the APA Chapter Presidents Council.
The survey addresses discrimination and climate in planning in Illinois and Wisconsin, perceived training needs, the level of demand for DEI training, and stories of DEI problems in planning that could be useful in building a training program. This survey does not limit itself to the training needs of planners and planning organizations, but also seeks to identify training needs of commissioners/elected officials and community members engaged in planning.
The chapter is working on improving opportunities for professional development addressing inequities in our communities and practicing more inclusive planning. Below are some resources related to this topic and chapter initiative.
- APA Social Equity KnowledgeBase
- David Morley, AICP: Inclusive Planning Processes Quick Notes (NEW!)
- PAS Memo by Kendra Smith, PhD: More and Better: Increasing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Planning (NEW!)
- PAS Report 593: Planning With Diverse Communities (New! Free to non-members and members on the APA website)
- APA Learn: Fostering Social Equity and Inclusive Growth Series (CM credits available)
- Interaction Institute for Social Change: Weaving equity into the planning process
- Planning Magazine - American Planning Association: December 2018: Planning for Equity
- APA-Wisconsin - Summer 2015 Newsletter Article: Tools for Environmental Justice and Equity Planning [pdf]
- David Morley, AICP: Inclusive Growth Quick Notes
- PAS Memo - November 2019: Integrating Gender Mainstreaming into U.S. Planning Practice
Thank you to one of our generous sponsors, GRAEF.